Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Cinco De Mayo Churros

Cinco De Mayo Churros

Friends! Happy Cinco De Mayo! Later tonight, a friend of mine is hosting a queso party. I thought, hey, that makes sense...It's Cinco De Mayo. So I decided to make a dessert for the party. The first thing that came to my mind was...churros. YUM!

A few years ago, I tried making churros, and they were pretty good. The only downside was the super complicated recipe and it took forever. So this time, I tried it again but with a different recipe. Turns out that it's pretty much the easiest recipe to exist to mankind. I made these in fifteen minutes flat and I had all the ingredients. Friends, that never happens. Ever. Not only are they super easy to make, but they taste even better! This fried dough is crispy on the outside but soft and doughy on the inside. The sweet cinnamon and sugar coating, makes this melt in your mouth. So go celebrate Cinco De Mayo and make some of these churros!




(makes 20 little churros)

Ingredients: 

1 cup water
2/12 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or canola oil)
1 cup flour

2 quarts oil for frying (I only used about 2 cups in a very small pot)
1/2 cup granulated sugar 
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Instructions:
  1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, salt, and 2 tablespoons oil. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in flour until mixture forms a ball. 
  2. Heat oil in deep-fryer, deep skillet, or a small saucepan (I used a small saucepan, because I definitely didn't have that much oil) to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Pipe strips of dough in hot oil using a pastry bag with a star tip or you can use a gallon ziplock bag and just cut a hole out of one of the corners. I also used scissors to cut the pieces from the tip of the bag. Make sure the oil covers the strips of dough. Fry until golden; drain on paper towels. 
  3. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Roll drained churros in cinnamon sugar mixture.
  4. Eat them all. 

For more about more authentic Mexican food, check out my good friend Andrea's blog here!

1 comment: