Saturday, April 4, 2015

Strawberry-Lemon Layer Cake

Strawberry-Lemon Layer Cake


The weather is warmer, trees are budding, and the days are getting longer. Spring is here and that means sweeter and fresher fruits. So this week I picked up some strawberries and celebrated all things spring by making a cake. My creation? A strawberry-lemon layer cake! The neat thing about this cake is that all you really need is cake mix, butter and confectionery sugar. The rest is up to your imagination. This recipe is versatile and can be tailored to your taste buds. I started with vanilla cake mix (mostly because it was on sale and I can't pass up a good deal!) I added lemon juice and lemon zest for a little kick. On the inside is a strawberry filling and a vanilla butter glaze. And finally, the cake is topped off with vanilla butter cream frosting and raspberries. This cake is fresh, light, and scrumptious. It truly was the perfect way to bring in spring. 


To me, baking is all about experimenting, colors, and taste. 
  1. Don't be afraid to adapt a recipe within reason. For example, if a chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for chopped nuts, you can replace it with more chips (becuase you can never have too much chocolate.) 
  2. Natural colors are really appealing to the eye. If you want to impress a guest, stick to the natural colors of fruits, vegetables, or spices. 
  3. For taste, sometimes you will bake something that is terrible. It happens to all of us, but the best thing to do is to laugh at yourself and move on. There is always room for improvement. If you've lost hope, don't because you can do it! 



Strawberry-Lemon Layer Cake

Serves 12

Ingredients:

*For the Cake*
1 box of cake mix (vanilla or lemon would work great)
        -water, vegetable oil, and eggs called for on the back or side of the box 
4-5 tbsp lemon juice 
2 tsp lemon zest


*For the strawberry filling (modified)*
1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch


*For the frosting*
1 cup unsalted butter
3 cups confectionery sugar
1 teaspoons of vanilla
1-3 teaspoons of water, milk, or lemon juice (I used water)

  1. Preheat oven to 350° and follow instructions on the cake box. 
  2. Once, you have incorporated the cake box required ingredients. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix until incorporated. 
  3. Split the batter equally into two 9-inch round pans and bake for the suggested time on the box. 
  4. In a small saucepan on medium heat, whisk together water and cornstarch. Add the strawberries and sugar. Simmer until desired thickness. Set aside and cool. 
  5. Mix butter on medium speed for three minutes, until fluffy. Add sugar, vanilla, and liquid and mix on low until combined. (Don't mix on high or there will be a BIG mess.) Once combined, mix on high for 2 minutes, until light, fluffy, and delicious. 
  6. Once the cakes have cooled, spread the filling in the middle (reserve some for drizzling on individual pieces of cake.) Frost the cake or pipe on designs. Garnish with pretty sprinkles or fruit. And voila! You just made a cake! 




7 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! Props to you for baking like a pro in a tiny NYC kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    I LOVE your arrangements! They are beautiful and look so well put together. I also love the simplicity of your recipes...those cookies look SO tasty! Keep up the good work! :)

    We should work together and make some healthy desserts. Check out my blog if you have time: alinasmakemehealthy.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Let's do it! Let's pick out a recipe and go for it!

      You have a great blog! Such great healthy tips! I'm going to need them, especially after eating all these desserts! :)

      Delete
  3. Mmmm these pictures look as good as your cake actually tasted! I'm a bit sad that you didn't include our lovely frosting pictures (but that's okay).

    I'm wondering if you would be willing to make a flan or aroz con leche (my FAVORITE Mexican dessert). I can teach you how and then we can BOTH write about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH! I would love that! Let's do it! And then eat ALL OF IT!

      Delete
  4. I love your sense of adventure and creativity! I have a story that happened many years ago. I saw a recipe for a lemon cake, 4 layers, beautiful! I was so excited to to make it. I looked just like the picture, I was so proud! the only thing was when we went to eat it , it was inedible. I thought lemon zest was the whole lemon peel and used pith and all. It was super bitter but I definitely learned from the experience what true lemon zest was supposed to be after that. We all learn very well from mistakes. So no biggie if they happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it really does happen to all of us! That's so funny though! I guess it's just a whole part of the experience and the fun. I remember trying to find the most PERFECT German chocolate cupcake recipe for Josh and Alanna's wedding. I did at least ten trial runs because they would came out looking like soup in a cupcake tin. Haha. I don't know how, but luckily it worked out in the end!

      Delete